Production Shift Manager
Position Title: Production Shift Manager, 2nd Shift
Date: April 2021
Reports To: Director of Operations
88 Acres Foods (88acres.com) is a Boston-based healthy food company. We create snacks free of the most common food allergens, hand crafted in small batches with simple ingredients & designed for everybody to enjoy. As a mission driven company, 88 Acres fuels inner city job creation through its Boston-based production facility. In addition to vertical integration and our philosophy on radical transparency, we’re implementing an omni-channel sales strategy leveraging strategic partners as well as e-commerce. Launched in spring 2015, 88 Acres' 4 product lines-- seed-based bars, seed butters, seed’nola, and seed dressings--can now be found across 4000+ natural grocery, active lifestyle retailers and corporate partners throughout country.
88 Acres is looking to bring on a Production Shift Manager to join its growing team! This position will be based out of the 88 Acres Bakery at 196 Quincy Street in Dorchester, MA.
The Production Shift Manager will be leading the 2nd shift to ensure that the highest safety, quality, and productivity standards are achieved. Emphasis will be on quality, and the ideal candidate will have experience in both QA/QC and Production. They will be a great communicator and compassionate leader, have attention to detail and be diligent to maintain compliance with procedures.
The Production Shift Manager will directly manage the Supervisor and coordinate activities of all employees in the Second Shift (currently 12 employees across the Production, Sanitation and Maintenance departments, likely to grow to 25+ by the end of the year). The Shift Manager will coordinate efforts with the Production Manager (on the 1st shift) to meet overall objectives and will support the Supervisor in training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising and managing performance, recognition and development of employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems. The Shift Manager will also be responsible for maintaining QA/QC records in compliance with GMPs and HACCP and SQF standards as well as certifications (Gluten Free, Organic, Non-GMO, etc.)
- Manage all activities at the Bakery during the Second shift and work closely with the Production Supervisor to ensure that operations are running smoothly
- Coordinate with the Production Manager (1st shift) and the Director of Operations to ensure production objectives are met
- Work with the Director of Quality and Director of Operations to ensure compliance with current certifications and record procedures
- Communicate daily with the Director of Operations, Director of Quality, Director of Maintenance and Production Manager (1st shift) to facilitate coordination and cooperation across both shifts.
- Oversee completion of daily paperwork, including closing checklist, inventory, batch sheets, inspections records, etc.
- Observe and evaluate employees and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service, and complete disciplinary actions as needed.
- Assist in daily activities at the Bakery and the Warehouse as needed, including production, cleaning, troubleshooting, reaching out to contractors, etc.
- Participate in weekly meetings (team meetings and one-on-one check ins) to provide and receive feedback.
- Communicate challenges to the Management team and participate in conversations to find solutions to increase productivity and efficiency and make the 2nd shift successful
- Leadership - Leading by example to foster teamwork and promote a supportive work environment
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or teams to make improvements or take corrective actions.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management and Scheduling – Juggling multiple responsibilities, being on time, meeting deadlines and sticking to schedules.
- Organization – Maintaining and organizing records in compliance with the applicable regulations
Accuracy and Detail Oriented
Is precise and accurate and pays attention to the details to ensure high quality.
Develops and fosters strong relationships with the team and delivers exceptional results. Able to work independently from the team on a regular basis as well.
Shares information and keeps co-workers and team abreast of issues as needed; communicates clearly and effectively in writing, on phone, and in person. Diligent in communicating and following up with coworkers and partners.
Analyzes problems, identifies probable cause, researches and designs solutions. Is committed to finding the best answer within time constraints.
Tackles opportunities to improve the quality of processes, products, and service through ongoing refinements in response to continuous feedback; emphasizes the importance of quality, organization, and excellence in the organization.
Food Safety Knowledge
Has a good understanding of food safety and takes interest in learning proper procedures from printed resources (i.e. manuals), attending trainings, communicating with vendors, etc.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 5+ years of experience required across both food production and quality control
- 2+ years of experience in a supervisory or managerial role
- Has succeeded in a high SKU production environment
- Strong analytical, problem solving, lean thinking skills
- Understanding of food safety risks, including allergen safety, and of proper cleaning procedures
- Attention to detail is a must
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word, and Google Suite (Google Doc, Sheet, Gmail, etc.)
- Strong and effective communication skills – written & oral
- Strong organizational skills
- English speaking. Portuguese, Cape Verdean Creole or Spanish language skills a plus.
- PCQI/HACCP certification, or willingness to be certified
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Prolonged standing for extended periods
- Lifting/pushing/pulling/carrying up to 50 pounds
- Squatting and bending repeatedly
- Working with one or both hands extended overhead
- Schedule: Monday-Friday
- Starting/Training period: 10am-close (~6pm)
- Permanent: 2pm-close (~10pm) - tentatively starting September 1, 2021 but may be sooner or later depending on business needs
- Schedule subject to change based on Company’s needs
All candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.