Note: Dark Chocolate Peppermint Sunflower Seed Butter was a Limited Edition flavor in 2021, and is not currently available. If you can't wait to try this recipe, give it a try with our original Dark Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter and a dash of peppermint extract to taste, and tell us how it goes!
Add some pep(permint) to your stack of pancakes with this festive take on a breakfast staple by Stephanie Steinhauser-Wampler (@stephanies.haus) featuring our Limited Edition Dark Chocolate Peppermint Sunflower Seed Butter. Top with fresh berries and whipped cream for a perfect brunch treat. You can find more of Stephanie's drool-worthy photography on her website.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose or gluten free flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup organic brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. peppermint extract
- ¼ cup butter or oil of choice, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs (can sub for flax eggs if vegan)
Chocolate Peppermint Drizzle:
- ¼ cup 88 Acres Dark Chocolate Peppermint Sunflower Seed Butter
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. dairy-free milk of choice
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, then stir in the baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, brown sugar, vanilla & peppermint extracts, butter/oil and eggs until smooth.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then slowly pour the wet mixture in as you gently whisk.
- Continue whisking until fully incorporated, being careful not to over mix. Your batter should be somewhat lumpy.
- Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes and meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. of oil over a large skillet on medium heat.
- Begin dropping the batter, ¼ cup at a time for each pancake. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the center begins to bubble and the edges are dry enough to flip. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack, adding more oil to the pan between pancakes as needed.
- Continue this process until you’ve worked through all the batter.
- While pancakes are cooking, prepare the chocolate peppermint drizzle by adding sunflower seed butter and milk to a blender and blending until smooth. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving so it thickens to a syrup-like consistency.
- Serve pancakes warm with fresh berries, dairy-free whip, chocolate chips and lots of chocolate peppermint drizzle!