These spiced apple muffins topped with Seed'nola were created by Laura Wright (@thefirstmess) and features our Vanilla Spiced Sunflower Seed Butter and Cinnamon & Oats Seed’nola. You can find more deliciously vegan creations on her Instagram page and website! And once you make these muffins for breakfast and realize how incredible they are, you can check out her cookbook, too. Laura's original recipe uses white whole wheat flour, but feel free to substitute 1-for-1 gluten-free flour if you have an allergy or sensitivity.
- 2 medium apples, peeled & chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm OR brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup coconut palm OR brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons 88 Acres Vanilla Spiced Sunflower Seed Butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 88 Acres Cinnamon & Oats Seed’nola
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with parchment and lightly grease 9 cups of a standard muffin tin.
On the baking sheet, toss the apples, coconut palm or brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and sunflower oil. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, tossing the apples at the halfway point. Let them cool.
Next, make the muffins. In a small bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar, ground flax, and non-dairy milk. Give it a quick stir and let the mixture sit and thicken for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut palm or brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk mixture, oil, seed butter, applesauce, and vanilla. Once combined, add the liquid mixture to the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Add the roasted apples as well. Stir the batter together with a rubber spatula until just combined.
Portion the batter out into the 9 greased muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with the Cinnamon & Oats Seed’nola and press it into the batter a bit. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick or paring knife poked into the center of one comes out clean. Let the muffins cool completely in the pan.